• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I still find it laughable that re7 turned out the way it did just cause the devs " wanted a horror game " . All of the games in the series can fit into " horror game " category, making re7 the way it is just cause of " wanting to make a horror game " bores me the more the series continues. Mikami even wanted the 1st game to be more action oriented along with cyborgs, 1st person view and coop also being planned to be involved but it turned out less action oriented before kamiya took over re2 that eventually turned out to be more action oriented that defines the 1st game's premise more. I see re4 and re6 also continuing in this path with re4 defining the series' action-horror premise and re6 feeling like a culmination of the direction that started with re2 and re4. All these " rewrite " desires on internet that want the previous stories to get re engine'd due to " Too much action, too racist, too sexist etc. " type of complaints is still unfunny to me.

On another note, ı dont like wesker's fandom that much either, in fact ı can find them obnoxious more than the other characters' fandom easily. I still hate the fact that they put as much quality as they could have into his portrayal in re:4 only to strip re:2's cast from their personalities in the worst way imaginable. If they could have put as much effort as they could have into re:4, then why not re:2 either? Personally ı think re:2 is the game that actually needs a rewrite more than the other games in the series so that og game would actually receive a faithful remake that would feel like an improvement like remake did compared to the 1st game. I find leon and ada the worst characters in re:2 and ı still hate their interactions in the game along with the new backstories they added into them. Og re2 isnt even available on steam and ps4 stores, even though ı can emulate it on pc, ı still want to have the game on ps4. I have it on ps3 and buying the 1st game also made it available on ps4, why cant re2 and re3 get this benefit as well?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

I also found this after a while. I watched it up to a point and ı stopped cause ı didnt enjoy it that much.

Why are they saying that annette has a redemption arc? She doesnt. They basically combined her re2 and darkside chronicles personalities into one which makes her all over the place. She dismisses her daughter only to suddenly come back and shoot william but how does that even redeem her? I cant really see annette as a person who can redeem herself and darkside chronicles improved from re2 in my opinion by guiding claire and leon into her lab but in re:2, she's handled so carelessly to the point that she can die differently. Like...all those 4 scenarios meant to be different timelines or occuring at the same time ı still have no idea.

They talk about making irons " realistic " even though they just made him more mad. How does irons not have any humanity? Terrible people can still act like humans, irons in re2 didnt let his motives known that easily but the one in re:2 is a mindless monster that doesnt even act like a proper human being. Why does it matter that irons is meant to be a sociopath or psychopath as if he cant be both?

Lastly ı watched ada-leon part where the writer talks about the kiss moment inside the cable car. I honestly didnt appreciate the way he wrote those characters, in fact ı dislike it more. He leaves the scene open to interpretation but his interpretation was still about ada kissing leon to use him for her mission. That made me bothered at it so much that ı didnt want to continue watching further cause once again ı hate the way leon and ada are written in re:2. Also ıdk why they stated about resuscitation cause in og game and darkside chronicles, after they kiss, ada passes out, how can even that be a resuscitation? It's not like leon kissed ada while she was unconscious or even sleeping or something.

Yeah. The RE2 remake is putrid. I hate it how people call it a classic when the game isn't even on par with the original. Not one bit.

Sure, it's still a good game that retains the classic elements of what the survival horror genre used to be known for providing. There's definitely more to hate than like, all the while. But it does have that going for it.

I also think it's very fanboy-ish how RE2 changed so much from the original, yet all of their criticism, hatred and so on, almost always gets directed at RE3, despite RE2 doing the same things, which was of course Capcom cutting out content and altering so much regarding the plot. So why bash one game for omitting stuff when they go almost hand in glove?

Is this because the original RE2 is cited as the best pre-RE4 game? Probably, yeah. This is in my view the main reason they act so biased.

Then RE4 received a remake. It's very good, but has corny moments. Does anyone talk much about the changes or cut content in RE4? Again, no, not really. Only observant people like ourselves will point it out. The nerds can never be as objective as we are.

The problem with some fans is that they just developed a fixture for some games in the franchise above others, which causes them to fail somewhat in understanding that they are all rightfully called reimaginings, and are hereby not even true remakes.

Well, RE7 and 8 are jokes of games. It totally gets my gears grinding when people say RE8 is a good game. It happens all the time on a lot of rubbish gaming forums I visit.

I'll post when I can be arsed to do so, mentioning all the things I hate about modern RE gameplay. Like how the guns feel crappy, they have lame storylines, or how you can buy things with gold, which in my opinion is just stupid. Keep that gimmicky nonsense please for an adventure based franchise such as the Uncharted series, or something.

They kind of admit that the series has been in a slump, only to do a swerve and shit on my thread, saying RE7 and 8 are good games, and that the remakes are enjoyable. Were they hell?

RE4, yes.
2, to an extent.
3, nope.

OK. 7 may be quite stupid, but it is a really good game if you judge it as a horror game that has no ties to bugger all RE related. If you don't think of it as a real RE game, it's fine. Not overly tremendous, but passable.

RE8 on the other hand was a piss take that made me irate. The entire game is farcical. I think the house section with Angie the puppet is embarrassingly dumb. Like, seriously. It's really outlandish. Then it just gets worse from there.

The dragon fight and the robot fight are just stupid. Duke looks silly and is in line to become the new manager of the Heart Attack Grill.

I also think they were trying so hard to copy just about everything from RE4.

Village? Check.
Castle? Check.
Vendor? Check.
Kidnapped people? Check.
Factory? Check.

The entire game is absolutely daft, but then they add in the Heather Mason type character, Rosemary, and make it like she's friggin' walking about with mannequins in pursuit, like you're lost in Silent Hill.

Jesus, was RE8 just the dumbest?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
" How can you be a fan of the series and hate wesker? "

This is a question ı received previously and it has to be one of the most uninspiring questions ı've ever seen. I can ask this perfectly through other examples:

How can you be a fan of the series and hate leon?

How can you be a fan of the series and hate chris?

How can you be a fan of the series and hate ada?

How can you be a fan of the series and hate any character in re6?

How can you be a fan of the series and hate re6?

On xwixxer, ı saw this happening more over other characters and it's also a place where they keep dragging the re6 hatred cultwagon through the most boring and unfunny way that it still goes. Gamefaqs and reddit are another places where this description fits from what ı saw, ugh

" How can you be a fan of the series and hate wesker? "

This is a question ı received previously and it has to be one of the most uninspiring questions ı've ever seen.

Yeah, I was the one who asked that uninspiring question.

If you justify your anti-fan behavior by the anti-fan behavior of other fans who annoy you, then you are no better. Just the other side of the coin.

You people deserve each other.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
The hate train even appears in RE6.

No brakes, sadly. 🥹

😅

I like simmons and carla as antagonists more than wesker. I think they are underrated compared to wesker who's annoyingly overrated with a few exceptions like his screentime in re0 and darkside chronicles. Personally ı dislike ucorps for bringing back umbrella and wesker so as a result, ı dislike re engine direction despite being able to enjoy re:4 fine for what it is. I also dont like leon's fandom regarding re:2-4 cause from what ı found, they seem to be disliking the character from re2 to re6 with cgi movies being included only to like his re engine portrayals. I dislike " simp " memes regarding him since this seems to be a reason to keep bringing back the character where re engine direction screws his character very annoyingly. They keep calling him a " simp " before re engine only to praise the re engine direction as " fixing " it even though he actually becomes a simp in re engine games unlike before cause the new writers dont seem to understand leon's writing depth that he had during sugimura's and suga's writing eras. Since ı dont want leon to come back, ı dont see any reason why ı would be wanting chris to come back either since both of those characters got more than enough screentime and need a break. I wished they tried new ideas like bringing back ada to a story without leon who appeared at plenty of stories without ada being involved cause she desperately needs one. This is one of the reasons why ı still didnt bother with revillage since ada seems to be cut from it but ı bought re:4 after seeing ada's scenario cause ı found it to be well done despite lacking polish as a re engine title.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I took a look at it. I found the article more forgettable than any of those antagonists ( excluding revillage cause ı didnt play it ) mentioned there. But ı still agree about marcus cause to me he's one of the best antagonists in the series and his transformation is also one of the best ones. I guess ı disagree everything said about simmons cause ı cant find anything forgettable in re6 at all due to still enjoying the game so much but nice to see about giving praise to carla and ustanak.

It's a pity that Dillon in the Details fell out with Michael Does Life.

During the pandemic, I called in on Skype, donated tons of cash, and had a wild time talking about the highs and lows of the Resident Evil franchise. Those were the days. Now a lot of forums and so on, yield little activity.

It's a pity a lot of the other people I liked to watch like Nemesis have since closed their accounts, or set it to where you have to be a paid member to view their content. But that is to deter idiots who attack them.

Things just aren't the same online.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
It's a pity that Dillon in the Details fell out with Michael Does Life.

During the pandemic, I called in on Skype, donated tons of cash, and had a wild time talking about the highs and lows of the Resident Evil franchise. Those were the days. Now a lot of forums and so on, yield little activity.

It's a pity a lot of the other people I liked to watch like Nemesis have since closed their accounts, or set it to where you have to be a paid member to view their content. But that is to deter idiots who attack them.

Things just aren't the same online.
Yeah it's quite disappointing that the fandom sinks lower and lower as the series continues. A portion of fandom regarding re engine fake direction still dislike the older games and ı assume that's why they hate re6 very popularly on internet since it's a shortcut that would also make them dislike older games more. No wonder some cant take it and try to cut their connection to fandom as much as possible but anyone can come out of nowhere, even ı tried to isolate myself multiple times but now ı'm creating videos for the games that ı keep enjoying to publish them to my channel through a more objective evidential way.

Yeah. I have always found the RE fandom to be awkward. I tend not to ramble much about it any more, as I know they'll be users online who just make excuses or say something dumb. Plus, I get this creepy Australian guy spamming my address on forums, registering blogs and stuff quoting me, and watching me on sites just because he has nothing better to do. He's in Perth, so the cops in Western Australia don't lift a finger if you call them up and say you live in Scotland.

I see it on YouTube each time someone states anything honest about RE going downhill. But I do think RE is getting worse as a series than actually improving. And I think the franchise will continue to have silly storylines if Capcom knows people are so accepting of the Tim Burton, and Dracula type BS that plagued 7 and Village (which I consider to be two of the worst mainline entries).

The Silent Hill community over my time on forums has turned out to be more relaxed, but that's probably because everyone generally accepts that the series became "Hollywood" after the first movie came out. By this point in 2006, Konami had stupidly broken up Team Silent who developed 1 through 4. The other games have been undeniably mediocre. So nobody really disagrees.

I haven't tipped Michael Does Life for ages. I had a personal problem recently, so I didn't have any money. But I have to watch my spending now. Things are hard now with the 'Cost of Living' situation in the UK. But in general, I just got tired of saying the same things to everyone.

I think the franchise will continue to have silly storylines if Capcom knows people are so accepting of the Tim Burton, and Dracula type BS that plagued 7 and Village (which I consider to be two of the worst mainline entries).

I don't see why they shouldn't. Apart from the fact that these are high-quality games, Bram Stoker's Dracula and the Biohazard series have always had a ton of conceptual similarities, because even the original first game was inspired by the idea of a haunted house and a manga about vampires.

The central theme of these games has always been biohazard, and if you've read Stoker's book, you know that Dracula's goal was exponential infection to turn people around the world into a species called nosferatu (this word derives from a Greek word meaning "disease-bearing"). And the animals in which Dracula shifted, such as the rat, bat, wolf, and so on, are known as disease carriers.

Even in terms of storytelling, the book and the games are similar, because the whole novel is a compilation of diaries, letters, newspaper articles, and so on.

And Spencer's mansion wasn't just a house, but was likened to a castle with its interiors, any plate armour and so on. The owner himself is a Gothic villain of noble origin who dreamed of becoming an immortal god.

There is no objective reason why a character who might resemble Count Dracula wouldn't fit into the BIO universe, especially when you already have an immortal aristocrat who was literally nicknamed Nosferatu.

People so often talk about how silly vampires and werewolves are for this series, despite the common denominator in the form of disease transmission, forgetting the simple fact that zombies also have a paranormal origin. They weren't always the result of a virus or bacteria, and at the time Bio Hazard came out, the black magic explanation was still popular.

The criticism based on the incompatibility of motives and images is completely irrational, and it's ironic that you mentioned the Silent Hill series, because when Silent Hill 2 came out, a lot of people hated it to the core because of its distinctness. So much so that the negativity affected the direction of Silent Hill 3.

Older RE games weren't as outlandish, though. What was delightful about all the games prior to 4 and maybe also including 4, was that the story was interesting, but the games were scary (subjective) and the plot was easier to understand. Now it is like Capcom got the license to do a Marvel movie and were giving a 25 million budget.

I know all the games are scientific. I also know ammo drops and magic chests, etc, are just a gameplay mechanic, but I don't think it makes sense that a giant monster would just crap out a hundred grenade rounds.

So from a personal standpoint, I do prefer the older games, but I do still like to know what the future holds for RE.

This is considered to be the first zombies film, yet it concerns voodoo as opposed to a pathogen.

Older RE games weren't as outlandish, though.

Well, of course, because each title has its own gimmick.

BIO2 is not the same as CODE: Veronica because 2 is centered on the zombie apocalypse theme, while C:V has a focus on Gothic fiction and has its own take on Naoki Urasawa's Monster and Norman Bates.

BIO4 is not the same as BIO5, because 4 was influenced by Dagon, that is, the interpretation of H.P. Lovecraft's Innsmouth, which is called Imboca because it's located in Spain, while the atmosphere of 5 resembles Black Hawk Down and is centered on the theme of colonization of Africa.

Even BIO7 is difficult to put in the same category as Village, because 7 focuses on the niche Southern horror of the VHS era with a strong emphasis on violence, as the game is inspired by slashers and splatters, while Village is written like a folk tale, utilizing Vladimir Propp's structure and legends from folklore and fairy tales such as the ghostly witches of Benevento.

The Biohazard series as a whole works like a horror anthology, exploring different corners of the planet and different subgenres and kinds of horror.

but I don't think it makes sense that a giant monster would just crap out a hundred grenade rounds

No mutant in Village is that powerful, though. If you mean Dimitrescu, she's unkillable for the same reason that Mr. X is unkillable. Canonically, you can kill any Tyrant without even damaging the limiter, but Mr. X was made immortal for the game to be a constant threat, which would require the player to change strategy and adapt to the pace. It's just a game design. Even Ganados can't survive multiple gunshots to the head.

Even so, 1 to 4 are still classed as the best entries.

Silent Hill 1 received a share of criticism, and many fans wrote that Silent Hill 4 had nothing to do with the Silent Hill series and came up with the myth that it was a game called The Room, which Konami slapped the Silent Hill label on.

It's a cursed series, it's always been hated. Nothing has changed to this day.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
After enough digging on internet, ı found a way to translate japanese subtitles shown on images to english. I translated parts of bio4-BIO6 scripts as examples and this is the result:

bandicam 2024-05-08 10-05-47-237.jpg

bandicam 2024-05-08 10-07-03-191.jpg

bandicam 2024-05-08 10-08-58-390.jpg

bandicam 2024-05-08 10-09-34-562.jpg

bandicam 2024-05-08 10-11-13-385.jpg

I might try this more in the future.

Top Bottom